In Poland, the first in the Central and Eastern European region has been successfully completed, and the fourth in the world surgery for the implantation of the latest generation of auditory implant.
The implant works on the principle of bone conduction and the patient receives a natural, clear sound. This is a hope for patients with hearing impairments, in which other therapies did not bring effects – emphasized the ENT specialists. The new device will be able to use a dozen or so percent of patients – primarily with congenital and acquired hearing impairments or after unsuccessful attempts to save hearing with classic hearing aids.
– The device used is an implant that uses bone conduction. Each of us, if we touch the bone of the skull, receives the sounds, these sounds are transmitted to the inner ear and then the auditory way to the central centers – explains in a conversation with the information agency Newseria Biznes prof. Henryk Skarżyński, director of the Institute of Physiology and Pathology of Hearing.
The Cochlear OSIA OSI100 hearing implant is a big step forward in the treatment of hearing impairments. The device consists of two parts – the first one is magnetically attached to the skin, the other is implanted under the skin. This attached to the skin collects the sound, which through bone conduction is transmitted to the part attached under the skin.
– Bone conduction provides clear sound, so that what the patient hears, especially speech or music, sounds very natural. It increases the comfort of receiving music, both low, medium and high frequencies – convinces prof. Henryk Skarżyński.
Even before the operation, a simulation is performed, the patient knows what the procedure is for. He does not have to believe the descriptions of the device, but he himself checks the quality of hearing sounds.
– The knowledge of the patient, which he acquires, using this device, is also knowledge for us, how to expand the indications. Often, very small, subtle differences determine whether we understand 70 percent. or 90 percent human speech, do we understand freely the music in terms of a specific frequency band or a full band – says prof. Henryk Skarżyński.
The new device allows you to restore your hearing at the level that healthy people have. It will be used by those patients whose treatment methods used so far have not brought the expected results.
– The device is dedicated to this group of patients who did not have the benefits of previous solutions, be it classic, such as hearing aids or devices implantable to the middle ear or the inner ear. We identify a new group of patients who may have congenital, acquired, post-traumatic, post-inflammatory injuries or previous operations when there was a variety of occlusion lesions that would not allow the sound to pass through the middle ear where the sound should be amplified – emphasizes prof. Skarżyński.
The research conducted at the Institute of Physiology and Pathology of Hearing shows that an implant can be used by a dozen or so percent of patients, mainly adults. The device is, however, only checked, and after the research the target group will be able to be expanded. The operation carried out at the World Hearing Center was the first in the country and region of Central and Eastern Europe. Until now, implants have been implanted in only a few countries around the world.
– We are the fourth center in the world that introduces this to everyday clinical practice. Observations will make us ultimately analyze this group, define it and at the same time we will probably expand the age limits. Today we use it in adults, and I think that in the near future it will be applicable in the teenage years, and perhaps also in children, for whom auditory development is extremely important, especially at the beginning of school education – evaluates the director of the Institute of Physiology and Pathology of Hearing.
The first Cochlear OSIA OSI100 hearing implants are implanted in Polish patients as part of a research program. In the future, they will also be refunded, thanks to which all eligible patients will be able to use them.
– For each new procedure, solution, technology that we used, went our specific organizational activities to make these devices available. Today they are all available under the current NFZ system – emphasizes prof. Henryk Skarżyńki.
It is estimated that the problem with hearing has about 900,000 in Poland. people, and 40-50 thousand he can not hear almost at all. The problem is more and more often affecting the youngest. Recent screening tests have shown that in primary schools, even every 5-6 children have a hearing problem that may impede learning and prevent proper development.